In partnership with the Greater Kingsport Alliance for Development (GKAD), the City of Kingsport will provide much needed relief of rent and/or utility payments for up to three (3) months to alleviate the housing burden for low income households that have lost their employment income as the result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The city has allocated $180,874 from its Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), to assist Kingsport residents. GKAD will take the lead administrative duties for this program.
The program is limited to the city limits of Kingsport and subject to the availability of CARES Act CDBG-CV funds and changes in program guidelines from HUD. The goal of the Emergency Assistance Program is to alleviate financial pressure for low income households as the result of the COVID-19 pandemic and to provide greater economic security to renters and rental property owners.
To qualify for the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Payment Program:
- Applicants MUST be living in the city limits of Kingsport;
- Household Income is at or below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI);
- Lost household income as a result of Covid-19;
- Provide documentation of income received as a result of any governmental response program due to Covid-19 (such as unemployment compensation); and
- A gap exists between household income prior to COVID-19
Applications for assistance should be submitted to:
Greater Kingsport Alliance for Development
Fresh Start Foundation
285 Louis Street
Kingsport, TN 37660
Phone: 423-245-0135 ext. 1700
Visit kingsporthousing.org or kingsporttn.gov/city-services/community-development/ for additional information.