How do I request annexation?
To apply for annexation into the City of Kingsport, you may fill out the online petition: http://development.kingsporttn.gov/files/development/AnnexationPetition2014.pdf or contact Ken Weems at KenWeems@KingsportTN.gov or phone (423) 229-9368. The Planning Division will conduct a feasibility study of each annexation prior to Planning Commission consideration. All annexations are required to be reviewed by the Planning Commission and by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen as a resolution. At the time of annexation, the property will be zoned in accordance with City zoning regulations.
How do I subdivide my property?
Subdivision of land requires a subdivision plat designed by a Tennessee Registered Land Surveyor. Our online subdivision regulations may be found here: http://development.kingsporttn.gov/files/development/Sub_Regs_as_Adopted_by_KRPC_February_16_2012_final_amended_071912.pdf
How do I find out what my property is zoned?
Our online zoning map can be found here: http://gis.kingsporttn.gov/files/gis/Kingsport_Zoning_Map_Index_ver_2_2.pdf
How do I find the City’s zoning code?
Our online zoning code can be found here: https://www.municode.com/library/tn/kingsport/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH114ZO
The zoning ordinance can be found under Chapter 114 Zoning.
Chapter 114, Zoning, is updated by the Planning Division with approved ordinance changes by the Planning Commission and Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
How do I find out what the fees are?
How do I know my property lines?
You would need to have it surveyed by a licensed surveyor.
How do I apply for a zoning letter and what information is needed?
You can apply for a zoning letters two ways:
- by emailing your request to LoriPyatte@KingsportTN.gov
- or by mailing your request to Planning Department 415 Broad St 2nd Floor, Kingsport, TN 37660
Zoning Letters are 20.00. You can make payments online, in person, and by mailing in a check with letter.
Your request must include:
- Your name and phone number
- Who the letter should be addressed to and the mailing address
- The legal municipal address and legal description of the property you are inquiring about
Your letter must also indicate exactly what information you need to obtain, such as:
- What is the current zoning of the property
- What the address is for the location that your need the zoning letter for.
- Whether a specific use was approved on the property
- What the parking requirements are for a specific use
- Any other questions related to zoning
If you have any other questions please contact Lori Pyatte at 423-229-9485 or via email LoriPyatte@KingsportTN.gov