What information is collected from you and why
If all you do during your visit to KingsportTn.Gov is browse the site, download information or read pages, we will gather and store certain information about your visit automatically. This information will not identify you personally.
The only information we automatically collect and store is the public information collected by Google Analytics, such as:
- Your Fully Qualified Domain Name (Domain Name), of your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and/or your computer, if your computer has a domain name specifically assigned to it.
- Your IP Address (the number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our web site
- The Browser Type you use to access our site (e.g. Internet Explorer 11, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
- The Operating System you use to access our site (e.g. Windows 8, Mac OSX, Linux, etc.)
- The Date and Time you accessed our site
- The Pages you visited
- The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the page you started from (for example: google.com), that linked you to our web site, if you did not access our page by typing in
- Any additional non-private information that is readily available using Google Analytics.
We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors. Learning about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technologies they use, helps us improve the web site and the services we offer. In order to accomplish these goals, we are constantly conducting statistical analyses of the data we collect and are aggressively improving our hardware and software to meet your needs.
If you voluntarily send us information, i.e. you fill out a form requesting information, it will be used for governmental purposes only, although it would be subject to disclosure to the extent required by law by the State of Tennessee’s Open Records Act. Such governmental purposes could include, without limitation:
- Helping us respond to your request for information
- To look into a problem you are bringing to our attention
- To keep lists of interested people (e.g. prospective vendors or employees)
We will not rent or sell information identifying you as a particular person (name, address, phone number, etc.) to third parties, without your express permission, although again, this information would be subject to disclosure to the extent required by law by the State of Tennessee’s Open Records Act, and we may charge a fee to recover any costs expended in responding to a request under that act. We will not disclose credit card information, except for purposes related to your credit card transaction, or with your permission.
If you prefer not to receive cookies while browsing our web site, you can set your browser to warn you before accepting cookies and refuse the cookie when your browser alerts you to its presence. You can also refuse all cookies by turning them off in your browser, although you may not be able to take full advantage of this web site if you do so. You do not need to have cookies turned on to use or navigate through many parts of our web site, except access to certain web pages that require a login and password.
For more detailed information on cookies, visit this page on the Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/info/cookies.htm
We do not specifically solicit information from minors or information that will enable us to determine if the user is a minor. Since we do not restrict users based on their ages, we would like to ask parents to assist their children when children are asked to provide personal information on line. We will also ask that children get their parents’ permission before providing any information on line. Any information submitted by a minor, will be treated as information submitted by an adult, since we are not able to determine the user’s actual age.
The content of KingsportTn.Gov’s web pages is copyrighted and contains some third party graphics/images that are used with the copyright holder’s consent. If you wish to use any of this content, you must obtain permission from the copyright holder before reproducing or otherwise using those graphics/images.
KingsportTn.Gov reserves the right to change this policy without notice.
The City of Kingsport (“The City”) is committed to the responsible use of the information entrusted to it and to protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of that information. However, information security in not an absolute and The City cannot absolutely guarantee the security of the information that it handles. The City does strive to maintain a reasonable continuous process for implementing, reviewing and improving data security.
We aspire to fully protect citizen information through the use of multiple information security controls, including technical, administrative and physical controls.