NOTICE COMMERCIAL CONTRACTORS
Effective July 1, 2018
Regarding new commercial projects
Final inspections will not be scheduled until:
As-Builts are submitted in electronic format.
Approvals are received from other municipal departments (e.g., Engineering, Landscaping, Stormwater, and Transportation).
The City of Kingsport Building Department has adopted and enforces the following codes:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
- Accessibility Code: Chapter 11 2018 IBC and 2009 A117.1
- City of Kingsport Zoning Ordinance
All general contractors must have a City of Kingsport business license and proof of workman’s compensation insurance to purchase permits. All electrical, gas installation, and plumbing contractors must also post a $10,000 performance bond. The licenses and bonds are handled by the Finance Department, located at 415 Broad St, (423) 229-9418.
Effective July 1, 2012, we will be no longer be offering trade’s testing. All tradesmen wishing to obtain a business license must first show proof of a Tennessee State License, or that they have passed the Tennessee State contractor’s exam for the appropriate trade.
Testing is available at:
PSI Testing Centers
904 Sunset Drive Suite 7A
Johnson City, TN 37604
LLE & LLP Applicants
Tradesmen who have a Tennessee state Limited License Electrician (LLE) or Limited License Plumber (LLP) must submit this application along with a copy of their exam test score to KristenHodgson@KingsportTN.gov to be approved for a city license.