NOTICE: COMMERCIAL CONTRACTORS
Effective July 1, 2018 – Regarding new commercial projects
Final inspections will not be scheduled until all trades have requested their final inspections.
As-builts are submitted in electronic format.
Approvals are received from other municipal departments (e.g., Engineering, Landscaping, Stormwater, Planning/Zoning, Traffic & Transportation).
The City of Kingsport Building Department has adopted and enforces the following codes:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
- Accessibility Code: Chapter 11 2018 IBC and 2009 A117.1
- City of Kingsport Zoning Ordinance
All general contractors must have a City of Kingsport business license, COI, and proof of workman’s compensation and general liability insurance to purchase permits. All electrical, mechanical, gas installation, and plumbing contractors must also post a $10,000 performance bond. The licenses and bonds are handled by the Building Division, located at 415 Broad St, (423) 229-9393.
Effective July 1, 2012, we will be no longer be offering trades testing.