- The applicant must be between the ages of 14 and 21.
- If the applicant is still in middle school, he/she must be in the 8th grade and preparing to enter high school the following year.
- Each participant must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- The applicant must not have any arrest or conviction records for serious offenses.
- The applicant must be of good moral character.
Once an application is received, a background investigation will be conducted with local law enforcement and the school that the applicant is attending. If the applicant is under 18 years of age, parental/guardian approval is required. Once the applicant has been approved, the new Explorer member may begin attending the regularly scheduled meetings. Regular attendance and active participation in scheduled events is required to maintain membership. If you would like to apply or need further information please contact the program coordinator, Sergeant Justin McConnell, at 423-229-9300. Interested parties are encouraged to visit our Explorer Program page prior to applying.
There are numerous opportunities to volunteer at the Kingsport Police Department. These include duties such as parking enforcement, administrative services, traffic control assistance, assistance with public relations programs, non-criminal fingerprinting. Individuals acting in this capacity are non-sworn and are not placed in environments that would put them in harm’s way. These positions are strictly voluntary and are not eligible for compensation. We work to accommodate the individual’s schedule and make every effort to allow them to determine the capacity in which they would like to participate. For further information about the program we encourage you to visit the Volunteer Services page before applying.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Applicants must be of a good character and successfully pass a thorough background screening
- Applications for these positions are accepted at any time
For further information please contact Captain Randall Gore at 423-343-9803, Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM.