The Kingsport Farmers Market officially welcomes you to its 2019 season this Saturday, May 4. To celebrate its grand opening, the market is kicking things off with a day full of live music, kids’ activities and more.
Starting on May 4, you can find homegrown produce, handmade crafts and baked goods at the Kingsport Farmers Market every Wednesday and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. through November.
The market kick-off is scheduled to begin at 7 a.m. at 308 Clinchfield Street. It’ll be a celebration of all things local, so grab some friends and family to come out for a great day.
The Kingsport Farmers Market’s Kick-Off schedule of events is as follows:
- 9 a.m. – Dobyns-Bennett High School’s Agriculture class is sponsoring tomato planting for kids. The first 100 kids will take home a free tomato plant!
- 9 a.m. – STREAMWORKS will have kids activities.
- 9:30 a.m. – Market Jams featuring Big Like the Ocean
Returning for the 2019 season are your favorite programs:
- Market Jams, a Bluegrass/Americana music series, runs every first Saturday of the month from May through October.
- The Homegrown Gardening series, sponsored by Keep Kingsport Beautiful, will teach you how to grow delicious produce in your own garden.
- Saturdays with the Chef will return every Saturday in June and July so you can learn from great local chefs how to turn that fresh market food into something great.
New for 2019 season is:
- Evening at the Market – in partnership with Visit Kingsport, every second Thursday of the month June through September will feature a live Bluegrass concert in conjunction with a full farmers market. The event will run 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Carousel Park is now open right next door!
- Recycling Imitative – Keep Kingsport Beautiful and the Kingsport Farmers Market want to promote good stewardship of the land, so that’s why we are teaming up to bring a recycling initiative to the farmers market! In an effort to reduce the amount of plastic bags used in Kingsport, Keep Kingsport Beautiful, through a grant award, will be providing vendors with a supply of small paper bags and larger paper shopping bags for market customers. In addition, one of the dumpsters at the farmers market will be converted into cardboard recycling. The market also has reusable Kingsport Farmers Market shopping bags for purchase.
For more information on the Kingsport Farmers Market, or to sign up for our monthly newsletter, please visit kingsportfarmersmarket.org.