Police Department Icon
A Guide for Citizens
Procedures for making complaints:

If you have a complaint regarding the actions or lack of action by a member of the Police Department, you may register your complaint by doing the following:

  • Contact the on-duty Watch Commander or Supervisor.
  • Contact the Division/Bureau Commander of the Police Department.
  • Contact the Chief of Police

We would prefer that you begin with the Watch Commander or Supervisor; however, if they are unavailable or you feel the matter is of great importance, please feel free to contact the Division/Bureau Commander, or even the Chief of Police. Your complaint will be forwarded to the proper person for inquiry/investigation.

We prefer that your complaint be made in person, but we will accept complaints by letter or telephone.

Procedures for Investigating Complaints:

Upon receiving a complaint against a member of the Police Department, the Internal Affairs Commander or the Chief of Police will initiate either a formal or informal investigation into the matter in question.

An investigator will be assigned to the case and will interview victims, witnesses, and the accused, as well as collecting any pertinent evidence. A report will then be made to the Internal Affairs Commander or the Chief of Police.

The Chief of Police or his designee will review the information and determine if there is cause to believe laws or department policy and ruler were violated.

If the investigation becomes lengthy, you will be kept informed on its status. Upon conclusion, you will be notified of the results and any action taken.

Where to make you complaint:

The Police Department is located in downtown Kingsport in the Justice Center at 200 Shelby Street Kingsport, TN 37660.

You may telephone us at the following numbers:

Watch Commander/Supervisor

423-229-9436 or 423-246-9111

Division/Bureau Commander


Chief of Police


*Click here to see the brochure.