Every ten years, the federal government conducts a population count of everyone in the U.S. The 2020 Census will begin in mid-March 2020, when households are contact through the mail about completing census forms. Census 2020 will represent the first time in history that people may submit their forms electronically. In addition to determining the number of seats each state has in the House of Representatives, the information collected will determine how federal and state funding is distributed to Tennessee and to the local governments of the City of Kingsport and Sullivan County.
The 2020 Census is important for you and your community.
Count All Neighbors – Kingsport & Sullivan County
Getting an accurate count in next year’s U.S. Census is important to Kingsport and Sullivan County. The Census is used to draw congressional district lines, and analyses show that a significant under-count can cost our local governments several million dollars each year in federal funds that are collected and redistributed back to communities. Over the 10-year span until the next Census is conducted, tens of millions of dollars are at stake.
In the coming months, anticipate seeing nonpartisan educational information about Census 2020 and why a full and complete count matters.
2020 Census Jobs
The U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting to fill hundreds of thousands of positions across the country to assist with the 2020 Census count. The starting pay rate for census jobs in Sullivan County, TN, is $19.00.
• August 2019 – Address Canvassing Starts and Area Census Offices open
• Early 2020 – Group Quarters Starts
• March 12-26, 2020 – Self Response & Update Enumerate Starts
• April 1, 2020 – Census Day
• May 2020 – Nonresponse Followup Operation (NRFU)
• December 31, 2020 – Census Bureau delivers apportionment counts to the President
• April 2021 – Redistricting counts are delivered to states