To find out when your garbage, recycle and yard waste pick up days are, please visit the homepage and click on the MY icon, the My Kingsport function. Enter your address in the search bar on the My Kingsport feature and the results will reflect information related to your residence.

Garbage includes: weekly household refuse (food, food containers, organic waste, clothing).

Trash includes:  brush, bagged leaves and grass clippings generated by the resident, furniture, appliances, small amounts of building materials, and up to four tires off the rims.

The city will not pick up contractor generated waste, batteries, paint and paint products, butane and gas tanks, dead animals, hazardous liquids / materials and infectious materials.

Carpet: $25.00 per pick up

Building materials: $82.00 per ton

Once items are placed at the curb, you have agreed to be billed for the collection service.

Recyclable materials

  • Newspapers and other paper items (except brown paper)
  • Plastics with the numbers 1 through 7 on the bottom
  • Cardboard (broken down to fit in the cart)
  • Tin or aluminum cans
  • Used motor oil (Up to 5 gallons only)

Note: Please rinse all containers before placing in recycling cart.

Back door service is a paid garbage pick-up where the City will collect your garbage at your door.  The fee for this service is $264.00 per year.  Information referencing disability and low-income waivers or reduction in fees may be obtained by calling Customer Service at (423) 229-9416.

Recycling carts are provided at no additional charge.

Leaf season runs from the middle of October through the middle of January. After that, you must bag your leaves and place them with the rest of your trash. The city does not provide bags.

Additional carts may be purchased for $60.00 per cart, with an additional $8.00 per month per cart fee.  Additional cart requests may be made by calling 423-229-9416.

The following items are not picked up by the City:

  • Batteries
  • Paint and paint products
  • Butane and gas tanks
  • Dead animals
  • Hazardous liquid or materials
  • Infectious materials

Please call our office at (423) 229-9451.

Motor oil should be placed in a plastic container (no glass), labeled as motor oil, and placed near your recycling cart.

Please note – No more than 5 gallons will be picked up at one time.

If the paint cans have dried paint, these may be placed in the garbage cart; if the paint is not dry feel free to use cat litter to dry, and then place in the garbage cart.

The hazardous waste collection, sponsored by the state, is also an option. This event is usually held in April.

Paint is no longer accepted at the landfill.

All cardboard may be placed in the recycle carts, preferably flattened.

Please note – cardboard outside of the recycle cart or with yard waste will not be picked up.

Yes, please place in your recycle container.

Please call 423-229-9451 for large items that will not fit in the garbage cart to schedule a pickup.

The State of TN offers collection once a year for these items, and is usually located at Central High School in Blountville.  Please call 229.9451 for date/time/place.

Animal complaints, within the city limits, should be directed to Petworks Animal Services.

Petworks Animal Services:(423) 247-1671 (Kingsport)Website:

***Please note: Petworks is closed on Wednesday and Sunday.***